Historical Community Hall built in 1876 being the former Lifeboat Station of the first RNLI Lifeboat In Sheringham the DUNCAN. Refurbished at a cost of £250,000 being originally promoted by the SheringhamPlus Regeneration partnership. Initially built in 1867, the Hall was Sheringham’s original RNLI lifeboat station.
It was subsequently enlarged to add a second floor, used as a reading room for the local fishermen, as well as a venue for public meetings and entertainment. After years of difficulties in launching the lifeboat, the station was moved further west to an easier location. The Hall continued to be used as a meeting room by the Loyal Fishermen’s Lodge, a branch of the Manchester Unity Independent Order of Oddfellows, a benevolent, friendly society of which many of the fishermen were members.
The Oddfellows bought the building from the owner, Henry Upcher of Sheringham Hall in 1931 and sold it in 1948, after which it went through a number of uses: a shoe factory, a model railway and model village attraction, a craft centre and an art exhibition space. From the mid 1990’s, the Hall, now owned by North Norfolk District Council, stood unused, until regeneration money was sourced in order to turn the Hall into the modern successful venue it is today. Following this, in 2007, the Sheringham Plus Community Partnership took on the running of the building, naming it Oddfellows Hall, bringing it back into use by and for the community. They were succeeded by The Upcher Partnership, and when they felt unable to continue, The Sheringham Shantymen took on the management of the Hall in 2014 on a totally voluntary basis, for and on behalf of the community, something which they continue to do to this day.